The Church on the Hill
July 7, 2013 10:00 A.M.
As you enter the sanctuary,
Rejoice! – God is with you!
Hear the Announcements,
Greet each other in friendship and love.
* All who are able, please stand.
Reminder: Jesus won’t call you on your cell phone, please turn it off. Thanks.
Largo Francesco M. Veracini
Air Robert Elmore
* CELEBRATION OF FRIENDSHIP
* SANCTUS (pew card)
* CALL TO WORSHIP Jim Nicholas
Leader: In Christ, we are no longer strangers and outcasts.
People: We are citizens with all the saints, members of God’s household.
Leader: We are built upon the foundation of apostles and prophets.
People: With Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone.
Leader: In Christ, each one of us, stone by stone, is joined together.
People: We are growing together into a holy temple built by God, a dwelling that God is pleased to call home.
Adapted from Ephesians 2
* HYMN No. 49 Praise the Lord Who Reigns Above
* PRAYER OF CONFESSION (unison)
Merciful God, for just a few moments, grant us the honesty to see ourselves as we sometimes are: we can have treacherous tongues, our mean streaks, our petty jealousies and long held grudges, our pride-the subtle stain of selfishness that discolors what we do. Lord, grant us the grace to see ourselves as we always are to you: your beloved children. Amen
* KYRIE (pew card)
* ASSURANCE OF PARDON
* SUMMARY OF THE LAW
* Gloria Patri (pew card)
ANTHEM: Gloria Antonio Lott
Bruce Hoffacker, tenor
Stevan Hoffacker, tenor
Jim Nicholas, baritone
MORNING PRAYER AND LORD’S PRAYER
Lord’s Prayer (pew card)
Prayer response: Sweet Hour of Prayer arr. Andrew Hawryluk
* HYMN No. 310 O Word of God Incarnate
Luke 7: 11-17 Pew Bible, pg. 839
Soon afterwards he went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went with him. As he approached the gate of the town, a man who had died was being carried out. He was his mother’s only son, and she was a widow; and with her was a large crowd from the town. When the Lord saw her, he had compassion for her and said to her, “Do not weep.” Then he came forward and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still. And he said, “Young man, I say to you, rise!” The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother. Fear seized all of them; and they glorified God, saying, “A great prophet has risen among us!” and “God has looked favorably on his people!” This word about him spread throughout Judea and all the surrounding country.
THE SERMON You Raise Me Up Donna M. Field
WORSHIP OF TITHES AND OFFERINGS
Offertory: A Festive Alleluia Mary Lynn Lightfoot
* The Doxology (pew card)
* Prayer of Dedication
* STATEMENT OF FAITH -- Belhar Confession Article 1
We all believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths that there is a single and simple spiritual being, whom we call God - eternal, incomprehensible, invisible, unchangeable, infinite, almighty; completely wise, just, and good, and the overflowing source of all good.
* HYMN No. 634 Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
Response: Gloria in Excelsis Deo Anonymous
POSTLUDE: God of Grace Paul Manz
TODAY WE WELCOME DONNA MARIE FIELD to the pulpit. Donna was our student intern from June through December 2012. In May 2013, she graduated from the New Brunswick Theological Seminary with a Masters in Divinity degree.
Donna will be leading our worship services until a permanent minister is in place.
APPRECIATIONS: We thank our Men’s Trio, Bruce Hoffacker, Steve Hoffacker and Jim Nicholas for sharing their musical talents to enhance our worship service.
OUR WORSHIP HOURS will continue at the 10:00 AM hour through Labor Day Sunday, September 1, 2013. We hope you will give our worship your support through prayer and attendance.
BARGAIN BOUTIQUE: Our thrift shop has closed for the summer. Please hold your donations until August 15.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL, August 12-16, 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
VBS registration – now through July 31st. Tell your friends and neighbors! Applications available in the church office for children entering Kindergarten through Grade 5. Enrollment fee is $35.00 per child.
CROP WALK September 22, 2013 – Donation envelopes are available in the church office during July and August.
- As the summer approaches, please consider prepaying your pledge for July and August before you leave town. This will help the summer cash flow problem.
- Please submit your pledge (estimate of giving) cards for 2013. If you have already done so, thank you.
- If you have not given a special offering for your assessment ($93 per member), please help us by making the payment. The Synodical and Classical Assessment is the amount we owe Reformed Church in America for your membership.
LARGE PRINT BULLETINS & PERSONAL SOUND AMPLIFIERS are available. Please ask an usher if you want one.
YEAR-ROUND COLLECTIONS –
- Donations for the Food for Kids Ministry should be brought to the Church office. During the school year, this food is given to families in need in Jamaica, New York.
- Donations for pets brought to the church office will be given to Worthy Pause to be distributed to local animal shelters.
- Christmas cards (with Forever Stamps on the envelopes) are collected in a basket in Gessner Hall. These cards will enable inmates at the Nassau County Correction Center to correspond with their loved ones.
PRAYER REQUESTS: Ruth Bailey, Letty Delgado, Ed Diercks, Dombrowski Family, Edythe Durney, Sandeep Edward, Alfred Gessner, Lisa Gessner, Robert Keller, Ann Martin, John Molino, Gloria Scrivano, Janice Serra, Mary Wainwright.