The Church on the Hill
July 14, 2013 10:00 A.M.
* All who are able, please stand.
Reminder: Jesus won’t call you on your cell phone, please turn it off. Thanks.
Prelude and Fugue in d minor J. S. Bach
Jesus, Priceless Treasure J. S. Bach
* CELEBRATION OF FRIENDSHIP
* Gloria Patri (pew card)
* Call To Worship (From Psalm 25):
Leader: To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
People: Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.
Leader: Good and upright is the Lord.
People: Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation.
* HYMN No. 52 I Sing the Mighty Power of God
* PRAYER OF CONFESSION (unison)
Have mercy on us, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercies, blot out our transgressions. Wash us thoroughly from our iniquity, and cleanse us from our sin. For we know our transgressions, and our sin is ever before us. Create in us a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within us. Cast us not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from us. Restore to us the joy of your salvation, and uphold us with a willing spirit. Amen.
* KYRIE (pew card)
* ASSURANCE OF PARDON
* SUMMARY OF THE LAW
ANTHEM: Jesus, I Am Resting arr. Ovid Young
Dorien Day, soprano
Stevan Hoffacker, tenor
Psalm 82 Pew Bible, pg. 472
A Psalm of Asaph.
God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgement:
‘How long will you judge unjustly
and show partiality to the wicked?
Give justice to the weak and the orphan;
maintain the right of the lowly and the destitute.
Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.’
They have neither knowledge nor understanding,
they walk around in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
I say, ‘You are gods,
children of the Most High, all of you;
nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,
and fall like any prince.’
Rise up, O God, judge the earth;
for all the nations belong to you!
Luke 10:25-37 Page 844
Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. ‘Teacher,’ he said, ‘what must I do to inherit eternal life?’ He said to him, ‘What is written in the law? What do you read there?’ He answered, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself.’ And he said to him, ‘You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.’
But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, ‘And who is my neighbour?’ Jesus replied, ‘A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan while travelling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, “Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.” Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbour to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?’ He said, ‘The one who showed him mercy.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Go and do likewise.’
THE SERMON Lists, Life, and Love Dr. Ian Rottenberg
WORSHIP OF TITHES AND OFFERINGS
Offertory: Come, Jesus, Holy Son of God G. F. Handel
* The Doxology (pew card)
* Prayer of Dedication
* AFFIRMATION OF FAITH
* Apostles’ Creed (pew card)
SACRAMENT OF HOLY COMMUNION Elder Dorien Day
Remembering with Love and Hope (pew card)
Sanctus (pew card)
Mystery of the Faith (unison)
Christ has Died, Christ is Risen, Christ will come again.
Words of Institution
PRAYER OF THANKSGIVING & INTERCESSION
Lord’s Prayer (pew card)
Prayer response: Ave Verum Lorenzo Perosi
* HYMN No. 772 For the Bread Which You Have Broken
Response: May the Grace of Christ Our Savior John Newton
POSTLUDE: Chaccone Francois Couperin
OUR WORSHIP HOURS will continue at the 10:00 AM hour through Labor Day Sunday, September 1, 2013. We hope you will give our worship your support through prayer and attendance.
APPRECIATIONS: Today we thank Dorien Day and Stevan Hoffacker for sharing their musical talents to enhance our worship service.
BARGAIN BOUTIQUE: Our thrift shop has closed for the summer. Please hold your donations until August 15.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL, August 12-16, 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM.
As of today, registration is full. We have a started a waiting list. If interested, call the church office and we will notify you if any openings become available.
CROP WALK September 22, 2013 – Donation envelopes are available in the church office during July and August.
- As the summer approaches, please consider prepaying your pledge for July and August before you leave town. This will help the summer cash flow problem.
- Please submit your pledge (estimate of giving) cards for 2013. If you have already done so, thank you.
- If you have not given a special offering for your assessment ($93 per member), please help us by making the payment. The Synodical and Classical Assessment is the amount we owe Reformed Church in America for your membership.
YEAR-ROUND COLLECTIONS –
- Donations for the Food for Kids Ministry should be brought to the Church office. During the school year, this food will be given to families in need in Jamaica, New York.
- Donations for pets brought to the church office will be given to Worthy Pause to be distributed to local animal shelters.
- Christmas cards (with Forever Stamps on the envelopes) are collected in a basket in Gessner Hall. These cards will enable inmates at the Nassau County Correction Center to correspond with their loved ones.
PRAYER REQUESTS: Ruth Bailey, Letty Delgado, Ed Diercks, Dombrowski Family, Edythe Durney, Sandeep Edward, Alfred Gessner, Lisa Gessner, Robert Keller, Ann Martin, John Molino, Gloria Scrivano, Janice Serra, Mary Wainwright.